DRS - a carrier-grade data retention solution
The Utimaco DRS (Data Retention Suite) has been designed as a carrier-grade system to enable fast and secure access to retained data by authorized agencies. It enables network operators and Internet service providers to easily comply with recent telecom regulations for data retention. System architecture The Data Retention Suite consists of a set of software modules that run on Dell® OEM servers with Red Hat® Enterprise Linux. The frontend component, the DRS Management Server, enables user-friendly access to all administrator and operator functions via a secured web application.
It also provides electronic interfaces to law enforcement agencies via fax, E-Mail, or IP interfaces (ETSI RDHI). The backend components of the Utimaco DRS include the DRS Backend Server, one or many DRS Collection Devices, and a powerful data warehouse optimized for rapid search and big data analysis. The DRS Backend Server is the core of the entire system as it implements the business logic encapsulated in a well protected server. The DRS Collection Devices provide the service- and vendor-specific interfaces to the various network nodes that generate CDR records and keep communications data and subscriber data.
- Performance and Capacity — Utimaco DRS has been optimized for simultaneous loading of big data volumes and fast query processing. The system can ingest several billion data records per day, supporting the transaction rates generated by large telecommunications networks with millions of subscribers. Average query results are returned within seconds not minutes.
- Seamless Integration — Utimaco DRS has been designed for seamless integration into existing multi-vendor and multi-service networks. The solution can be customized easily to interface with CDR/IPDR systems, log files, subscriber databases and other network nodes.
- Multi-Tenancy — One Utimaco DRS system can be used to administer warrants and search requests for multiple network operators and service providers. The granular rights management system of Utimaco DRS can be configured to securely segregate between networks, users and authorities, thereby supporting various business models like MVNO models, managed services, or cross-border service platforms.
- High-Availability — Server cluster, hardware redundancy, RAID-5 data mirroring, and real-time system monitoring are integral concepts of Utimaco DRS and satisfy the highest availability demands and highest disaster resilience.
- Data Analysis — Utimaco DRS easily integrates with 3rd Party visualization and analysis tools such as IBM i2 Analyst's Notebook®.
Reduced TCO – Investment costs are reduced by data compression and avoidance of data duplication, and by the use of low-cost, standard industry hardware. The automated workflow system minimizes operational expenses and is prepared for seamless evolution of the operator’s network and services.
Assured compliance – Utimaco DRS assists network operators and service providers in becoming and remaining compliant with evolving and challenging obligations of data protection and homeland security, as well as independent international standards such as ETSI 102 257 and ETSI 102 256. It helps reduce the risk of unauthorized access and data manipulation, and ensures timely response to law enforcement agencies.
Future-proof – Utimaco DRS is purpose-built and designed to continuously accommodate the latest regulatory requirements and international standards. The modular architecture and the comprehensive range of services from Utimaco assure compliance with data retention legislation at predictable costs, for today and tomorrow.
Security & Privacy
Comprehensive security features like role-based access control, encryption and integrity checks prevent unauthorized access and manipulations of sensitive data during storage and handover. Full audit trails are maintained for all system and user events to provide full accountability for evidential quality.
- Granular rights management
- Remote access via https (password, certificate)
- Full audit trail (encrypted)
- Data integrity protection
- Encrypted storage (optional)
- Hardened operating system